Saturday 20 June 2015

Part 4

Am I keeping you awake? I PROMISE it gets more interesting!


After pushing my bike in the scorching sun, I finally came to Crescent Road. Between 11 and 13, there was an alley. It was dark, seriously dark. I wasn't fond of darkness. It was very suspicious, a mystery letter leading to a dark alley. I knew it was a prank, but something spurred me onwards. I let my sweaty palms guide my bike into the darkness. Convenient place to get mugged...






But before I had the chance to turn back, I came to number 12, encrusted with gold that seemed to shine despite to. I tried to peer through the window, but all I could see was more blackness. My books still needed to be bought, so I tried the door.


A little bell dinged as I entered. The shop may have looked grim on the outside, but inside was bright and clean, complete with a shiny oak floor.


There were a few people dotted in the tardis like shop and they all turned to gawk at me. Embarrassed, I quickly went to the desk and tapped the brass bell.


A man slid down from a ladder behind the desk, making me jump. I didn't notice him, and no wonder. He must have been three feet tall...or should I say 'short'. His eyes resembled those of a wise old owl. His thick bushy beard brushed against the floor. The smile on the dwarf's face reminded me of a grandfather figure, warm and old.


"What can I do for you, my dear?"


"Um" I wasn't sure what to say, having never encountered what seemed like a real dwarf. "I was given this." I presented the voucher that was a part of my acceptance letter. The little old man pulled out a pair of reading spectacles from his beard and read it.


"Ah, I see, " he nodded. "come this way, Miss Dawson." The dwarf walked swift to the back left hand side of the shop. I was surprised that his beard didn't trip him up.


I waited in awkward silence. Maybe it was just me being paranoid, but everyone in the shop seemed to be looking directly at me. They started whispering....


Don't be so ridiculous! I mentally scolded myself. There was no reason for them staring, why would they? I was paranoid, that was it.


The dwarf came back with a stack of about five thick books. He went and placed them out on his desk. I looked at them sceptically.


This whole thing must have been a prank.


Each of the ancient books were leather bound and dusty. The first was called 'The beginners guide to spirits and demons' There was no way this was an actual school book...


" Are these the right books, Mr...?"


"Mr Finks." The dwarf answered. He frowned. " Of course they are. This has been my job for two centuries now..."


"Two centuries?!" My mouth hung open. I was so out of here...


"Yes, my dear. Why, I remember giving both your parents the exact same books when they were your age. "


"really?" Just play along. I would get the proper books at the Academy, surely. I was sure they would understand... "Thank you, Mr Finks, but I must go..."


And with that, I made a beeline for the door.









3 comments:

  1. Wow, she must've felt really uneasy to leave just like that, after someone claimed to know something about her dad.
    ... then again, that someone seemed to be an actual dwarf, and tried to hand her school books so old they were dusty.
    How are my chances to get the next part within this year? :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall write up the next part soon ^.^ I've actually started this as a book. I have written a lot more!

      Delete
  2. Yay! This bit is magical. Literally. ;)
    I love the dwarf. It's hilarious when she thinks he'll trip over his beard.
    Her unease is perfect. That's exactly how a real person would feel.

    ReplyDelete